Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mosaic Butterfly Mobile/Chime - Tutorial

As I mentioned in my previous mosaic tutorial, that I had this awesome opportunity to participate in Totally Tutorial Exchange Program in collaboration with Artful Mosaic Supplies. Do visit Dana’ beautiful shop and try this beautiful craft by yourself, I am sure you will fall in love with this beautiful craft.

For my second project I decided to make a Mosaic Butterfly Mobile,as i wanted to use this butterfly mobile sitting in my craft cabinet for ages. I added inspirational words on leaves of the mobile,to remind myself values of life.
Here I will use third coaster from my kit, (In case you missed my first mosaic project, please click here)





Supplies you need



• Mosaic Coaster kit from Artful Mosaic Supplies

• Butterfly Mobile (on hand, available at dollar tree)

FlatBack Pearls

• Distress Ink (Vintage photo)

• Newspaper or book sheets

• Flat White Spray Paint and Primer

• Twine

• Polymer Clay Embellishments (click here to make your own)

• Craft Adhesives like Epoxy, Mod Podge and Weldbond Glue

• Sponge Brush

• Latex Gloves for grouting

• 'O' Hooks also known as Eye Hooks


Procedure

Lets start with Mosaic Coaster

• Seal coaster ON BOTH SIDES with decoupage glue.



• Mark coaster on corners ( I marked 1” on one corner and 2” on opposite corner)\



• Screw Eye Hooks on both corners.



• Lay your tiles out on the coasters before attaching them with adhesive.Take picture for reference.
 Once you come up with design for your mosaic, glue individual tile, one at time using heavy duty craft adhesive (I used Weldbond glue).Make sure there is no more space than 1/4" among your tiles. Otherwise grout can develop cracks.Repeat this step on other side of coaster.



•  glue flat back pearls on the sides of coaster.



• Once all pieces are attached to coasters, set it aside and Allow glue to cure for several days before grouting.



• Mix grout according to package instructions( I mixed grout powder with water until it reached the consistency of peanut butter) avoid excess water.




• Apply grout using the craft sticks or rubber Spatula. Spread grout evenly over the mosaics tiles and with the help of foam piece work the grout under the edges of tiles. Wear gloves to push grout into crevice. Make sure you protect your work surface and clothes as grouting can be little messy.Repeat this step on other side of coaster.




• Wipe off any excess grout with damp sponge or rag, being careful not to wipe away the grout in the crevices. Let the coaster dry overnight.Repeat this step on the other side of coaster.




• Apply sealant with brush over the grout. Wipe off any excess, and allow it to dry for at least 24 hours.Repeat this step on the other side of coaster.



• Clean and polish on both sides of your coasters.


                     




Mobile

• Spray white paint on the both sides of butterfly, allow paint to dry completely.








• Distress newspaper or any other page with distressing ink



• Decoupage paper over butterfly as well as leaves. (detach existing strings)





• With Exacto blade, carve out extra paper to bring out the butterfly design.Distress edges again.



• Attach all parts of  the mobile with twine and trim off excess twine.





• Add clay or vinyl lettering on the both sides of mobile leaves(I have tons of clay so I use it everywhere but vinyl would look really good too)






• Attach polymer clay embellishments on the both sides of mosaic coaster with epoxy.





• Taadaa you are done. Hang it in any place, you fancy




I enjoy making mixed media projects,so really had good time making this mosaic mobile and i am sure this mobile will look great in my patio.

Thank you for stopping by.

Have a Creative Day,

Shahana.








38 comments:

  1. Lovely mobile. Just wish I had the patience for such crafts. I found you via the Friday follow, don't be a stranger and stop by sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Friday Follow to say Hi!

    Please stop by and see my review on Molly's Money Making Digest:
    http://bit.ly/adcjFP

    And enter my giveaway for Peter Rabbit Children's Products:
    http://bit.ly/a9kCNz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I found your blog...and looking forward to reading more! New follower here from Friday follow...

    Dee @ barefootbathandbody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi its really very nice i enjoyed a lot to visit..Handset prices

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great mobile!!!! I want to try that!
    I am your newest follower from FF.
    I hope you can visit me at
    novicemommie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping in and looking around from Follow Friday! And just became your newest follower! Yea! Hope you stop by and return the favor!

    My blog www.remodelaholic.com is all about interior design and remodeling there are some great tutorials so you can get the look you want on a budget! We also have a party every Friday to show off your stuff! And Sunday for Recipes links.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I love the tile and the butterfly. I know this probably isn't a new idea, but the tile would make a great coaster, too! Heh. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project! Very pretty.

    I'm your newest follower from FF!

    Find me at
    http://www.orchidlanedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone

    yeah Meg i know coasters are great but they were already coasters so i wanted to repurpose them into something different.

    Hugs
    Shahana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving the mosaic tile coaster idea! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very nice
    Found you on FF and wanted to say hi
    Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I am impressed! So glad you stopped by my blog I wanted to stop in and now I am your follower, what a wonderful blog sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out lovely!!

    I love it!!

    Thanks for coming by.

    PS. this is my kind of blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! This is such a unique craft!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very, very pretty - I love your use of print...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks great. You are very creative.

    I am following you from Tuesday Tag-Along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool tutorial! I would love to try the grouting of tiles!

    Dee
    www.imfree2bmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. very nice idea. Love it!
    found you on Tag along tues. happy blogging!
    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Dropping by for Tuesday Tag-along... adding your feed to my reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

    I'm your newest follower from Tuesday Tag-Along and can't wait to read what else you've got to say!
    Stop by when you've got a chance.

    http://waterwaif.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super cool! I love the colors and the creativity! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I didn't get the tile coaster until you put in the grout or whatever. You inspired me to try this. I like everything here in fact. Anyway I'm your latest follow from the Tuesday blog hop.

    Hope you'll come visit my blog and follow me too. Can't have too many blogging buddies, right?

    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Stopping by from Tuesday Tag-Along! I am now following you with Google Friend Connect. Come visit us at www.couponsaregreat.net!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your tutorials - they are so easy to follow. I've always wanted to try a mosaic & you make it seem to so easy ... I'll have to give it a shot :)

    I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. Stop by http://www.snugglymonkey.com/ sometime to pick it up! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm your newest follower from Tuesday Tag-Along, come follow me too!

    frugalformyfriends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is such a pretty mobile, and such a detailed tutorial. Thanks!

    I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Very impressed. That was just mind-blowing beautiful!

    I'm follower #102--your newest follower from Tag A Long Tuesday. I'd love you to visit me: http://jonbonjovious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey there.

    I'm a new follower from Tuesday Tag Along. I hope you'll stop by and follow me too :)

    Oh and btw, this is gorgeous! I am definitley going to try and make one!

    Take Care!
    http://mylifewithratsandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a gorgeous project! Great design and potential for custom looks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow... these are beautiful ideas! I love it! I'm so glad I found your blog :) Bookmarking it so I can come back again. Very creative goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Check out my blog for a fun award for you! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  33. All your creations are beautiful! I am maning you a "Blog To Watch" at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. I think you have a lot to add to the crafting world.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never made a mosaic before! Thank you so much for the instructions. Your turned out so beautiful.

    And thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session over at Life in the Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi! I'm featuring this today. Because It's awesome :)

    http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2010/05/featuring-you_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi,

    Awesome work !! I love crafting and want to try the mosaic work here. Great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great repurposing project. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete